What is Hypothyroidism (cretinism)?
Hypothyroidism (cretinism) is an insufficient production of thyroid hormone by thyroid gland because of various reasons and it is characterized by weight gain, yellow-orange skin, fatigue and low metabolic rate and it can also cause to improper periods and milk production in the women who are not pregnant.
Causes of Hypothyroidism (cretinism)
- Insufficient production of thyroid hormone is the main cause of Hypothyroidism (cretinism).
- In infant it may occur due the lack or insufficient expansion of thyroid gland.
- Abnormal iodide uptake may also cause to this disease.
- Removal of thyroid gland due to any reason may cause to Hypothyroidism.
- Uses of radioactive iodine may also be responsible for this disease.
- Infection in the thyroid hormone may cause permanent Hypothyroidism.
- Medicine such as Nitroprusside, lithium, or iodides may trigger this disease.
- Congenital defects may also cause to this disease.
Symptoms of Hypothyroidism (cretinism)
- Skin color may change to yellow-orange
- Weight gain
- Low metabolic rate
- Irregular periods
- Loss of hair
- Puffy face
- Hearing problem
- Poor feeding
- Heart defects with birth
- Short stature
- Cool and pale skin
- Rough voice
- Swollen eyelids
- Enlarged thyroid gland
Treatment of Hypothyroidism (cretinism)
- It can be stop by proper iodine supplementation.
- Somewhere intramuscular injections of iodized oil is used to treat Hypothyroidism.
- Levothyroxine sodium tablets are suggested by the doctor for the patient of Hypothyroidism.
- Some medicine such as Levothyroid, Levoxyl, Synthroid are also useful for this disease.
- Patient of this disease may have to use medicine for their whole life.