What is Congenital Syphilis?
Congenital Syphilis is a constant bacterial infectious disease which is transmitted to the child through mother or some says it is sexually transmitted disease. It is caused by Treponema pallidum and in this disease patient can experience birth weight, fever, and skin problems.
Cause of Congenital Syphilis
- The main cause of congenital syphilis is sexual contact.
- It can transmitted from infected mother through placenta to the fetus.
- At the time delivery if mother gets contact with the lesion then it can also cause to congenital syphilis.
- After exposure the risk for this disease also develop.
Symptoms of Congenital Syphilis
The symptoms of congenital syphilis are classified according to the newborn and young child.
- Irritability is the first symptoms of this disease.
- Failure to gain weight and also fail in thrive
- Before rashes on the palms and blisters.
- After rashes copper colored and bumpy on the face, palms and soles.
- Rashes on the mouth, genitalia and anus.
- Saddle nose
- Pain in bone
- Reject to move the painful leg and arm.
- Swelling in the joints
- Peg teeth
- Visual loss and loss in hearing or deafness
- Mucous-like patches on outer vagina and anus
Treatment of Congenital Syphilis
- Penicillin is the best treatment for all kind of syphilis.
- Single IM dose of benzathine penicillin G is used to treat the early stage disease.
- Other regimens are used for them who have allergy with penicillin.
- Doxycycline or tetracycline is used to treat the patients who are allergic with penicillin and non pregnant.
- Aqueous penicillin G or procaine penicillin G is used to treat new born child with congenital infection.
- Aqueous crystalline penicillin is used to treat the children who is older than 4 weeks.
- Benzathine penicillin is uses for all the pregnant patient.
- Some drugs such as Doxycycline, Erythromycin, Tetracycline
are prescribed as essential.